Things to do on a road trip down highway 1 (not in order):
1. Whale watching in Monterrey Bay.
2. Avenue of the Giants- 31 miles through the redwoods forest in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. Of course there is a drive-thru tree as well. To go along with this, I simply must stay at least one night in a Tree House Bed & Breakfast (even if it is $240/night), and go tree climbing too!
3. Channel Islands- take a wildlife cruise to sea seals, sea lions, and pelicans.
4. Sausolito- a crazy town made out of floating house boats… take a wooden house boat walking tour
5. Visit Venice Beach Boardwalk, because it’s supposed to be just really wacky
6. Hit up beaches (and Disney Land!) in Orange County
7. The Los Angeles sites (in addition to beaches and Disney): Paramount studio tour in Hollywood and a visit to the Japanese American National Museum
8. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge, take a streetcar ride, and get a city pass in San Francisco (which can include a trip to Alcatraz Island, a bay cruise, the Bay Aquarium, the Museum of Modern Art, and the Exploratorium)
9. Visit Pfeiffer Beach (the sand is purple!) as part of Big Sur
10. Check out Nitt Witt Ridge… and other crazy little stops that come up along the way!